The Department of Mathematics was founded in 1966
Mathematics, which in its initial development stage mainly constituted a series of empirical rules for mathematical calculations, has today become a necessity in our lives, decisively and rapidly penetrating every contemporary field of scientific activity. The Mathematical Science is mainly characterised by the method of the proof and the search for and description of mathematical concepts and laws, which are necessary in the description of contemporary reality.
Graduates of the Department of Mathematics can find employment:
- As teachers in secondary education.
- As scientific and research personnel at centres and services in the public and private sectors.
- At public sector corporations and organisations such as the Hellenic Telecommunications Organisation, the Public Power Corporation, Local Government, etc.
- At insurance companies and market research and marketing companies.
- In the industry and at public and private sector banks.
- At computer centres.
- In sectors that engage in secure data transfer systems, especially cryptology, cryptography and code theory.
- At companies engaged in computer graphics.